Friday, May 11, 2012

The Art of Road Trips in the Rain



Here for a moment,
Then gone when eyes are opened,
I can’t help but feel a pang of sorrow
Knowing I won’t ever see that landscape again.
I won’t ever be back in a place
Where EVERYTHING was perfectly untouched
Next time I return, if ever,
So much will have changed.

Trees will have grown.
Grass will have died.
Leaves will have fallen.
Life will have continued.
But if I had tumbled out of my shelter
And run off to explore,
Would I have grown old with it?
Could I escape the ferocity of a concrete jungle?
Yet even now I know that I cannot.
There is too much to do,
Too many to leave behind,
Too much lost.
Even with that thought,
My sorrow returns.
There is nothing preventing me from leaving,
Yet so much holds me back.
A seat belt, yes,
But my mind finds family,
A place where everyone loves you.
This can’t be found out there.
So I sit back and sigh,
And turn to gaze at the leather in front of me.
Still I can’t help but look out
And sorrow turns to envy.
How I long to travel out into that landscape.
How I want to escape my invisible bonds.
How I wish the water pouring down
Would wash me into the unknown.
To explore, to grow old,
To escape, to be reborn.
So I dream of escaping the pavement
And getting swallowed by a landscape.
Being lost in the green.
Running until I vanish into the rainstorm.
Why, oh why,
Can I not escape?

No comments:

Post a Comment